Knitting and Fitting Toe-up Socks
- Instructor: Kerry Maas
- Time: Friday, 1:00–4:00 and 5:00–8:00 (6 hours)
- Location: Classroom 2
- Class fee: $90
- Materials fee: None
- Class size: min 2/max 10
- Skill level: Intermediate. Students must be able to knit on double-pointed needles, be familiar with short rows (we will use two different kinds), and know how to make the crochet provisional cast on and M1 increases.
We will be doing two things in this class: (1) knitting a miniature toe-up sock, so that participants can experience all the parts of toe-up sock knitting; and (2) using our foot measurements, knitting gauge, and math to work out the recipe for knitting socks to fit our feet. Students will leave the class with a miniature toe-up sock and a personal recipe for knitting their own full-sized toe-up socks.
Participants should bring:
- 1 yard of waste yarn (preferably not feltable wool) close to the same size as the main yarn
- 5 yards of yarn in a size between fingering and worsted weight
- A set of double-pointed needles that work best with the chosen yarn
- A crochet hook sized to work with that yarn