This is an opportunity for NCFF attendees to show off their fiber creations. In the interest of time, entries are limited to two (2) per person. These items can also be entered to compete for the Fiber Arts Awards (see below)! If you wish to show off your fiber creation, sign up at the Information Booth by 4:30 pm on Saturday, Sept. 17.
Fiber Arts Competition
People’s Choice Award
Given to those entries judged by fairgoers to be the best of show in two categories:
- Finished items: one award—$25
- Handspun skeins: one award—$25
Kay Cheever Award of Excellence
Given to those entries judged by a panel from the Brookings Fiberworks Guild to be the best of show in two categories:
- Finished items: one award—$50
- Handspun skeins: one award—$35
Kay Cheever’s passion was elevating everyday life through fiber arts. These awards celebrate unique creative works, expressed in fiber with excellent workmanship.
Kay Cheever was instrumental in founding the fiber arts guilds in South Dakota. In the 1980s, she and other fiber enthusiasts started meeting in Brookings. From this simple beginning, the Brookings Fiberworks Guild, the Cross Threads Guild, and the Prairie Fiber Arts Guild were created. Kay, who had a Master of Fine Arts degree from the University of Georgia, was a wonderful fiber artist and writer. She passed away in 2002 but her legacy lives on. For more information about Kay Cheever and the inspiration she provided for this award, please see the video below.
The North Country Fiber Fair Board thanks the Brookings Fiberworks Guild for sponsoring these awards.
- Entry deadline is 10:00 am Saturday, Sept. 17.
- People’s choice voting will be Saturday from 10:00 to 4:30.
- Winners will be announced during the Saturday Evening Social.
- All items must be handmade and must have been completed after NCFF 2021.
- Entries must be made of at least 50% natural fiber.
- Entry form must be attached to object, preferably lower corner if meant to be hung.
- Items should be ready for display.
- Entry form must be attached to object.
- A form needs to be filled out for each item entered and can be picked up at the information booth or downloaded.
- The NCFF Board reserves the right to refuse items that do not meet the requirements of the competition.
- All entries must remain on display until noon on Sunday, Sept. 18. Please make arrangements to have your item(s) picked up or mailed to you at your own expense if you are unable to pick them up in person.
NCFF assumes no liability for entries which are lost, stolen or damaged.